The Infirmary has compiled answers to questions regularly received by our department. We hope that your questions are included in this FAQ section.


Do you call parents when you receive a sick student?

Parents are contacted and notified directly of any significant illness.

What do you do if a student is sick and cannot be present in class?

Students have to visit the school Infirmary in order to be excused from classes. If a student cannot come to the infirmary, parents are asked to call the school nurse and inform her about his/her medical status. Directors and supervisors are informed of student sickness via the special health record form signed by the nurse or the doctor. Students should talk with their teachers or advisors about making up any missed work during sickness.

Does the IC Infirmary charge for medical or nursing services?

Medical and nursing services provided by the IC infirmaries are free of charge for our students, staff, teachers and retirees.

Can an IC student see a specialist if needed?

In case of accident or emergency, IC student can be referred to emergency room. The IC physician or the school nurse will decide when the referral to ER is needed.

Do you have a policy regarding prescribed medications?

Parents are asked to inform the school nurse of all prescribed medication their child is taking. Medications must be labeled with the student’s name and dosage.

Do you have a school counselor?

The school counselor is available on campus regularly to see students and to provide advice according to needs.

Do you share my child’s health information with teachers?

Health information is kept private and shared with school teachers only if required .In this case the nurse will ask your permission before giving any information, excluding an urgent situation. Medical information is protected and the school health team is cautious to always protect students’ privacy and confidentiality.

Can students carry medication in school?

High school students can carry medications only if they have written permission from their parents or physicians.

Do I have to take my child out of the school when the nurse calls? What do you do if I can't come immediately?

According to IC Infirmary protocol, a child with a fever or any other serious illness must leave the school.  If you are not able to come right away, the school nurse will receive your child in the infirmary and provide all treatment needed until your arrival.

Do you provide sexual health education at IC?

Yes, we do provide sexual health education; we also give our students the option to attend Information sessions about sexually transmitted diseases and the prevention measures that should be taken.   

When should I keep my child at home because of illness?

Children should be kept at home if they have one of the following  illnesses:

  • Fever
  • Severe skin eruptions or rash
  • Conjunctivitis
  • Tonsillitis
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea

     A communicable disease such as: 

? Chickenpox
? Measles
? Mumps
? German measles (Rubella)
? Scarlet Fever
? Lice (Pediculosis)
? Fifth Disease

If your child develops a communicable disease or condition, please notify your child’s school nurse immediately.

Students must stay at home until the resolution of an illness. A student should be “fever free” before returning to school.

What are the health services provided by the IC Infirmary?

  • Physical and mental health assessment.
  • Medical screening tests like vision, hearing, height and weight, BMI, and physical examination evaluation for new school employees.
  • Screening and observing the presence of any infectious or communicable diseases in the school and preventing the spread of infection.
  • Nursing services for students.
  • Managing and observing students with chronic and special health care needs.
  • Implementation of emergency health care plans and first aid treatments.
  • Collaboration with the school’s directors and parents to discuss and manage all student health and educational needs.  

What are the medical services provided by the IC Infirmary?

  • Providing First Aid treatment for any accident or health problem.
  • Providing emergency treatment according to international standards.
  • Providing treatment of chronic illness such as asthma, diabetes, etc.
  • Diagnosing diseases and other health problems by physical examination.
  • Requesting Laboratory and other radiological tests as needed.
  • Prescribing medications and treatment for health problems.
  • Inserting IV hydration when needed.
  • Providing EKG test when needed.
  • Administering medication according to the physician orders.
  • Issuing health care intervention orders.
  • Issuing referrals to a specialist when needed.
  • Providing Health education for students and employees.
  • Promoting and encouraging healthy life styles for students and staff.
  • Ensuring food safety at school.

What will you do if my child becomes ill at school?

If a student becomes ill during school, the parents will be notified by phone to pick him up.

Beirut, Lebanon

International College
P.O. Box 113-5373 Hamra
Bliss Street
Beirut, Lebanon
Tel/Fax: 961-1-362-500/1

New York, USA

International College
215 Park Avenue South, Suite 1710
New York, NY 10003, USA
Tel: 1-212-529-3005
Fax: 1-213-529-8525

powered by finalsite