IB - DIPLOMA PROGRAM at IC
The IB-Diploma program, created in 1968, is a two-year pre-university course, designed for highly motivated secondary school students aged 16-19. The program has earned a reputation of rigorous assessment, giving IB diploma holders access to the world's leading universities. It is designed to facilitate the educational mobility of students and to promote international understanding.
The IBO's (International Baccalaureate Organization) goal is to provide students with the values and opportunities that will enable them to develop sound judgment, make wise choices, and respect others in the global community. The Diploma Program equips students with the skills and attitudes necessary for success in higher education and employment.
ACCEPTANCE TO THE IB
The IB is a program for students who hold a second nationality other than the Lebanese, or they have an exemption from the Lebanese official program to engage in a non-Lebanese program. Students applying for the IB should have a good all round understanding of academic subjects. A good knowledge of English Language is also a prerequisite as all teaching, except for languages, is in English.
THE IB DIPLOMA
To be eligible for the award of the Diploma, all candidates must have:
* Completed the exams in six subjects
* Submitted an Extended Essay
* Attended TOK (Theory of Knowledge)
* Fulfilled the CAS requirements (Creativity Action, Service)
The IB Curriculum consists of six subject groups. The students must select one subject from each group. Of these, a maximum of 4 and a minimum of 3, must be studied at Higher Level (HL) and remaining at Standard Level (SL).
1- Language A (First Language) English A: Literature
2- Language B / Ab initio (Second Modern Language) Arabic - French - Spanish
3- Individuals and Societies
4- Experimental Sciences
6- The Arts and Electives
Or another subject from either groups 2,3,4.
The levels at which the courses are given:
English A: Literature SL/HL
Arabic B SL/HL and French B SL/HL, Arabic Ab initio SL, Spanish Ab initio SL
Business Management SL/HL
Math Studies SL
Visual Arts SL/HL
In order to develop the skill of in-depth and independent research, students must submit an extended essay in one of their IB subjects. They will be given advice and guidance by a teacher at school.
THEORY OF KNOWLEDGE
TOK is an interdisciplinary course aiming at connecting different subject matters and helping the students to form critical opinions. There is no exam in this course but one essay will be externally assessed and class presentations as well as self evaluation are required.
CREATIVITY, ACTION, SERVICE
The IB has a highly academic profile, but also aims at giving a whole and balanced education. Thus, IB students have to complete a CAS program of extracurricular activities of their own choice, covering physical activities, social work to help others, and artistic hobbies to develop creative talents.
All students must sit for exams in all subjects. The examinations are held simultaneously in the northern hemisphere during the month of May. Having common exams and examining boards maintain International Standards.
Why the IB Diploma?
* It incorporates the best elements of National Systems without being based on anyone
* Internationally mobile students are able to transfer from one IB school to another. Others, who remain closer to home, benefit from a highly respected international curriculum
* Students share academic experience that emphasizes critical thinking, intercultural understanding, and exposure to a variety of points of view
* Smaller group of students per subject
* A good preparation for university study
* At AUB, students with the IB Diploma are accepted at the sophomore level if they opt to any art major, while in the science majors they must fulfill certain requirements
* At LAU, students with the IB Diploma are accepted at the sophomore level
* In the USA, IB exams will increase a student's chance for securing admission to selective universities. Several Canadian universities accept the IB Diploma as an admission credential, if the scores on the Diploma meet certain targets
P.O. Box: 113-5373 Hamra
Postal Code: 1107 2020
Secondary School Director: Paula Mufarrij
IB DP Coordinator: Rasha Daouk