History of IC

The school that finally became International College was founded in Smyrna, Turkey in 1891 by Alexander MacLachlan, a renowned Canadian educator, as the American Boys’ School. In 1895 ABS graduated its first class of five students and renamed itself the American Collegiate Institute for Boys. In 1936, Dr. Bayard Dodge of the American University of Beirut invited ACI to come to Beirut and affiliate with AUB as its preparatory school. This is why for many years IC was known fondly as “The Prep.” During its first year in Beirut, IC welcomed 901 students from 37 countries representing 16 religious sects. IC was truly an international school welcoming students from all over the Middle East who came as boarders living in Thomson and Sage Halls.

In 1913 IC opened an elementary school and in 1926 added the French language Section Secondaire. The 1960’s proved to be an important decade when IC separated from AUB naming a separate board of trustees and admitted women to become a co-educational institution.

During the Lebanese Civil War, IC remained a beacon of tolerance for the whole of Lebanese society. Students and teachers of all religious sects continued to attend classes in Ras Beirut. In 1988 a satellite campus was constructed in Ain A’ar to accommodate the children of alumni in that area. The Ain A’ar campus continues to serve students from pre-school through middle school. In 1997 IC achieved dual accreditation by the European Council of International Schools and the New England Association of Schools and Colleges.


Historique de l’IC

L’établissement connu aujourd’hui sous le nom de “International College” a été fondé à Smyrne en Turquie en 1891 sous le nom de l’École Américaine Des Garçons, par l’éducateur canadien de renom Alexander MacLachlan. C’est en 1895 que l’École Américaine Des Garçons, rebaptisée l’Institut Américain Secondaire Des Garçons, a remis les diplômes de fin d’études à la première promotion formée de 5 élèves. En 1936, Dr. Bayard Dodge de l’Université Américaine de Beyrouth a invité l’Institut Américain Secondaire Des Garçons à s’installer à Beyrouth et à devenir une école préparatoire rattachée à l’Université Américaine de Beyrouth. Ainsi, pour plusieurs anciens élèves de l’IC, l'établissement est connu sous le nom de "The Prep". Durant sa première année à Beyrouth, l’IC a accueilli 901 élèves de 37 pays et de 16 communautés religieuses. L’IC a véritablement été un établissement international en accueillant des élèves de tous les pays du Moyen-Orient en internat qui était situé dans les bâtiments Thomson et Sage.

En 1913, l’IC a fondé une école élémentaire et a établi en 1926 le département de la langue française au secondaire. Les années 60 se sont avérées constituer une importante décennie, durant laquelle l’IC s’est séparé de l’Université américaine de Beyrouth, a nommé un conseil d’administration distinct et a admis les filles, devenant ainsi une institution d’enseignement mixte.

Durant la guerre civile, l’IC a fait preuve de tolérance envers toute la société libanaise. Les élèves et les enseignants de toutes communautés religieuses ont maintenu les classes à Ras Beyrouth. En 1988, un nouveau site a été construit à Aïn Aar dans le but de recevoir les enfants des anciens de l'IC dans cette région. Le site de Aïn Aar accueille actuellement les élèves allant de la maternelle au collège. En 1977, l’IC a obtenu une double accréditation du Conseil Européen Des Écoles Internationales et de l’Association de la Nouvelle Angleterre des Écoles et Universités. Aujourd’hui, la filière française de l’établissement est également homologuée par l’Agence pour l’Enseignement Français à l’Étranger (AEFE).

Beirut, Lebanon

International College
P.O. Box 113-5373 Hamra
Bliss Street
Beirut, Lebanon
Tel/Fax: 961-1-362-500/1
ICLB@ic.edu.lb

New York, USA

International College
215 Park Avenue South, Suite 1710
New York, NY 10003, USA
Tel: 1-212-529-3005
Fax: 1-213-529-8525
ICNY@ic.edu.lb

cis
powered by finalsite